Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Gary's Cafe - Orange, TX - If Only Man Could Live on Chocolate Pie Alone


Gary's Cafe and Family Restaurant

Location - Orange, TX

Meal - Lunch

Date - February 15, 2010

The Set-Up - On our most recent trip to Houston, we stopped at Steamboat Bill's in Lake Charles, hoping (at least me) to eat some boiled crawfish. At about 3 p.m. we saw their sign, "Boiled Crawfish at 5 p.m, and got back in the car. Next stop was Orange, TX, where we'd heard about Gary's Cafe.

The Meal - Kay got her fill of vegetables, which she enjoyed. I went for the fried catfish plate with Gary's signature batter. I've eaten better, both fish and batterwise in many catfish restaurants in Louisiana and elsewhere. We agreed that the chocolate meringue pie (just $2.25) was by far the highlight of the meal.

Drinks - Iced tea and Diet Coke. I had to get a side glass of water to dilute the tea, but that may just be my taste.


Ambience - Diner-style, reminiscent of House of Pies in Houston, or Catfish Campus (as yet unreviewed) in Columbia, TN based on the advertisements embossed on the table.

Service -My memory is sketchy. I don't remember it being either special or inadequate.

The Check - A bargain at about $25, including tax and tip.

The Scoreboard (one-to-five scale)


Food - Three, with the pie bringing it up to acceptable overall

Drinks - Three, as the iced tea was just adequate

Ambience -
Two. I'm really not into advertising on the tables.

Service - Four.

Price/Value - Three. Even though Gary's was cheap, I can't go higher for a restaurant whose best food is chocolate pie.



Overall Assessment


Special Occasion

Favorite

Very Good

Good Enough

If Hungry Enough

Keep Driving and Looking


2650 Interstate 10 West, Orange, TX 77632.
(409) 886 - 5850

There are other Gary's locations in both Orange and nearby Vidor, TX.

Hours:

Call for hours. I couldn't find a website.


1 comment:

  1. Both locations are no longer in business.

    ReplyDelete