Thursday, April 1, 2010

Carmine's Italian and Seafood Grille, Metairie, LA - New Favorite?


Carmine's Italian Seafood Grille

Metairie, LA

Dinner

March 28, 2010


The Set-Up - My family picked me up at the New Orleans Airport in suburban Kenner after I returned from a trip to Florida. Too hungry and tired to make it back to Baton Rouge without dinner, I suggested we eat sooner rather than later. We ventured up Veterans Boulevard without a target in mind. To our good fortune, after just a couple of miles we found Carmine's Italian Seafood Grille in Metairie, LA.

The Meal - Kallie was undecided between angel hair pasta with meat sauce or meatballs. I told her to get the former with a side of meatballs. We ended up with four delicious meals - one for Kallie in the restaurant and three helpings of leftovers at home of the best restaurant spaghetti I've ever eaten. I also enjoyed my order - grilled tilapia with a crawfish cream sauce. Kay had lasagna with hamburger, sausage and spinach. The salads were fresh with a very nice Italian dressing. No one left either hungry or disappointed. My only complaint was that the bread came out late and in small crispy pieces. I would have preferred it earlier and softer.

Drinks - The standard assortment of iced tea, Coke and red wine. I may have had to dilute the tea, or that might have been at a different restaurant. Memory fails me now.


Ambience - The decorations at the entrance are a bit off-putting - almost bizarre, but the dining area is more traditional, except perhaps for the paintings of various European scenes on the tabletops. Our table featured the Arc D'Triomph, or an unknown Italian monument that greatly resembles it.

Service - As I remember, the service was quite good, once we understood the menu. Our waitress made the excellent suggestion of getting the fish broiled or grilled rather than pan sauteed. I was just trying to avoid deep fried.

The Check - I'm working from memory again. About $65 with tax and tip for three, including two glasses of wine at $7.50 each. Not bad, especially given the high quality of the food and the excellent leftovers.

The Scoreboard (one-to-five scale)


Food - 4.5 - marked down just slightly for the bread

Drinks - 3.5 - the wine seemed a little pricey

Ambience - 3.5 -
maybe a little too distracting

Service - 4 - competent but not memorable

Price/Value -
4.5 - worth an intentional trip someday


Overall Assessment


Special Occasion

Favorite

Very Good - with the possibility of becoming a favorite; at least when we're in the neighborhood.

Good Enough

If Hungry Enough

Keep Driving and Looking


Other Info

4101 Veterans Memorial Blvd, Metairie, LA 70002
(504) 455-7904

Hours:

Closed Monday
Tues - Thurs 11 to 9
Fri - Sat - 11 to 10
Sun 11 to 8

http://www.carminesonline.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment